Parte della collezione Chinese rubbings collection
Rubbing of pictorial images from west wall of the dividing pole of Xiaotangshan Shrine depicting scenes of falling from a chariot ; images include men on horseback and horsedrawn chariots in landscape with hill, river, bridge, fish, and cranes.
Formato: 58 x 116 cm.
Note: Citation/references: Zhonghua shu xue da ci dian, 2000, p. 261 (Xiao tang shan ci hua xiang). ; Zhongguo hua xiang shi quan ji, 2000, V. 1, p. 36. ; Seigai Omua, Shina bijutsu-shi chosohen (History of Chinese art: sculpture), 1922, f. 114.General note: Xiao tang shan: Xiaotang Shan (Xiaotang Mountain), also known as ""Gui shan-- Tortoise Mountain"" and ""Wu shan-- Witch Mountain."" Located south of Xiaolipu Village, 22 kilometers southwest of Changqing County, Shandong Province, China. ; Xiaotang Shan Shrine: Xiaotangshan Shrine is one of the earliest examples of funerary shrines recorded in Shuijingzhu (Shuijingzhu, also known as ""Commentary to the River Classic,"" or ""Commentary on the Classic of Waterways,"" written by the Northern Wei scholar Li Daoyuan (?-d.527). Xiaotangshan Shrine (some earlier studies identified it as ""Guo lineage shrine,"" dated to the 1st century AD) is the only offering shrine from that time known to be still standing in its original form. During early China, as early as the Warring States period (475-221 B.C.), funerary shrines were built atop the tombs of some upper nobility and feudal lords. In the Han Dynasty (206 BC-220 AD), funerary shrines and monumental towers became very popular, especially in Eastern Han (25 - 220 AD). Built of masonry, Xiaotangshan Shrine is a free standing building with single-eaved and hanging hill-shaped roof. It measures: 4.14 meters in length, 2.5 meters in width and 2.64 meters in height.Historical: Shrine date: early Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220 AD), records indicating Xiaotangshan Shrine dated prior to 4th yr. of Yongjian, Eastern Han (129 AD). Related site(s): Xiaotangshan, west side of triangular partition wall in tomb chamber
Repository: Fine Arts Library, Special Collections, Harvard University"