This outstanding manuscript contains the last part of a precious Qurʼan originally comprising 12 volumes, which, according to the colophon in the last part of the Qurʼan, was produced for the Moroccan Marinide ruler Abu Ya‘qub Yusuf Ibn Ya‘qub (reigned 1286–1307). The manuscript contains surat (chapters) 1‒3, 14, and 62‒114 and, respectively, the first and last five hizb (small sections, or sixtieths) of the Qurʼan. The Qurʼan was written in black ink in Maghribi script, which had spread in the 10th century from Tunisia through Algeria and Morocco to Spain. The monumental character of this manuscript results from the well-proportioned balancing of the text area, with only seven lines to a page, and the broad margins. The text is enriched by colorful signs that indicate the vocalization and by golden circles that contain the number of the verses. The letter ha’, stylized to resemble a raindrop, refers to five verses. The saying la ʼilaha ʼilla Allah (There is no god but God) is emphasized in golden thuluth script. The surah headings are written in golden Kufic, some of which are additionally set into decorated panels surrounded by strap-work or palmette frames. The medallions of the surah headings in the margins are executed with very delicate arabesque ornaments. Several elegant double-page illuminations open and close the manuscript. Experts rate this manuscript as among the most outstanding copies of the Qurʼan. The dominant feature of the original binding is a star pattern with gilded lines. The manuscript came from the collection of Johann Albrecht Widmanstetter to the Munich Court Library, the present-day Bavarian State Library.
Descrizione fisica: 115 folios, parchment : illuminated ; 26 x 21.5 centimeters